Saturday, April 14, 2012

Youth Is Wasted On The Young

I remember when I was young, I'd hear adults say "youth is wasted on the young".  Never was too sure why they'd say that or even what it ment.  Well, I guess it's safe to say that once you reach somewhere-up-there in age and you see some young folks "wasting their lives" or "throwing away their education" .... the saying comes straight forward to mind!

I'm not too sure whether or not, if it were possible, that I'd go back in time and do everything again.  I may be tempted to change a few things and end up altering how my present time ends up in the new future... if that made sense.  Besides, I'm pretty much content with the way my life is now even though it was a strugle to get here...only wish I'd studied more in French class to be fluently bilingual being as I live in Quebec.  But then I stop and say to myself, I'm never too old to learn the language so get to it! 

I can't believe it took me this long to actually decide... yes DECIDE to take my health seriously.  In my younger days I did NOT eat healthy unless Mom cooked it.  I did NOT exercise unless I was graded for it in gymclass or it counted as extra credit on one of the high school teams.  I wouldn't go so far to say I was lazy but I do admit sometimes I see young folk that remind me of me when I was their age.... um... lazy?!,  sigh... for lack of another word I suppose.  I smile when I see young folk riding bikes or roller blading or jogging!  Sports that you don't get extra class credit for! 

Thank our Lord that I'm not ill, just slightly over weight and with very lazy inner-pipes, other than that, I'm pretty good.  This past month I lost a total of six pounds.  I know that may not sound like much for one month but if it comes off slow, and the changes I make to my eating habits are not
"diet" related, but an overhaul of my eating habits.  I try harder to choose healthier foods by reading the labels looking for less sodium, less fat, highter fiber contents you know the biz.  I'm drinking more water, fell in love with prune juice and now that the outdoor market is open, I'm loaded up on fresh fruit and vegetables!  I should have no problem losing the next six pounds, and hopefully the next ten after that! 

Oh to be young and carefree.... well I'm STIL young and just not so carefree, more like nowadays I actually take more notice of things around me.  I enjoyed my youth, I really did!  Now I'm enjoying the next chapter...

No comments: