Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What Book

I was in a conversation today about books... "what book got me to enjoy reading" was the topic to be exact.  I hadn't really paid much attention to how different my reading preferences are from people that I know.  I figured, hey we like to read so that's that. 

I'm a lover of romance books: historical, paranormal, contemporary and erotica, romance is romance and I enjoy a good romance novel!  My best friend enjoys the contemporary romance (Kimani Romance), while one of my sisters enjoys reading crime and mystery books (Dean Koontz and the like), my other sister prefers the Danielle Steele type of books.  Personally, I've never read a Dean Koontz book nor a Danielle Steele one for that matter though I do have one of each uploaded on my e-reader for when I get angry and annoyed with the romance genre (this happens from time to time).

I can't say that I've always loved to read but I do remember picking up a book from time to time and making the purchase after reading the jacket of the book or being drawn in by the cover art back then I wasn't too much into the contemporary romance genre either.  I don't usually go for other folk's reviews on a book because what someone likes I may dislike and vise versa.  Honestly, I don't think I had a genre preference for quite some time, at least until I read a book by Virginia Henley and then I was hooked on historical romance!  If memory serves me correct, I read quite a few books by Henley before getting hooked on...

Dare I say it...

Fabio's books.  *covers face in shame*

I know, I know... Fabio, the male cover model who graced many a historical romance actually co-wrote a few books and I read all of them, or most of them... one was dreadful, one was very slow in the beginning then became quite interesting and the others were nothing worth bragging about but they weren't that dull either. 

Somewhere along the way, I think it was also a Virginia Henley book, that transported me back to old Scotland and highlanders *dreamy sigh*  I truly enjoy books about highlanders.  My absolute favorite genre is Historical Scotland Romance - if that's even a genre.

And to set the record straight, yes I read the 50 Shades of Grey series: book one was pretty good but after that it was pretty much downhill from there.  Same like the Twilight series.  I read the Twilight series because my 14 year old niece said I should.  I've been traumatized ever since.  The first book was ok except for the sparkling business, and the rest was downhill from there.

I enjoyed the paranormal highlander series by Karen Marie Moning though after a while they seemed repetitive but then again aren't all romance books? 

No comments: