Monday, August 6, 2012

A Pinteresting Flickr

This past weekend I spent a tiny bit of time searching and comparing recipes for Red Velvet Cake.  Yes I managed to find one over on Pinterest and I also found one over on Flickr.  I decided to go with the one on Flickr, and it also got me to thinking about the two sites.

I enjoy using both Flickr and Pinterest but I guess my gripe with Pinterest would be the same that everyone else with a Pinterest gripe is.... the same photo & website is repinned over and over and over again so it's constantly showing up in searches where as on Flickr not so much.  Yes I'm quite guilty of repinning too!   Now over on Flickr, it seems to be all about your own items.  See, I was looking for a recipe for Red Velvet cake, and I've never made this type of cake before so I not only needed the recipe, but a photo, how to information along with comments from others who have given it a whirl would also be a bonus. 

Well, I found all this over on Flickr. 

When searching the key words "red velvet cake recipe" I came across many recipes and comments that I felt confident in my choice.  Initially I'd be posting a "show off" or a "laugh with me" photo of the cake now but I was missing one ingredient thus couldn't get started.  Hopefully I'll be energized enough tomorrow to get the deed done.

Now back to Flickr & Pinterest.... I like how Flickr allows you to post your own photos and categorize them at the same time allowing you to make a collection of your favorite photos from other users.  Pinterest allows you to manage your collections as well into boards but there's just something missing that I can't quite put my finger on.  It's a great site if you're planning a wedding or party, or even a christmas shopping wish list but other than that I may be missing the mark.  But that's just me.  I'm still somewhat addicted to it but not as much as I was when I first started using it.  I think I'll actually pay the yearly fee and stick with Flickr.

Now back to the Red Velvet cake.... the Flickr image links to the same users blogspot blog where not only can you find the recipe for the Red Velvet cake but also plenty of more recipes : Baking Is My Zen.  Please click the link and show them some love!

No comments: