Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Back In The Kitchen

I love to bake, but I really don't love to cook.  Is that normal?  Does it even make sense?

I'm trying to "enjoy" cooking so I've been scouring Pinterest for recipes in hopes that the photo in the pin will lead me to a blog with a recipe and not just a photo on any random page that will try to upload some malware on my pc.  That's really annoying by the way ok so stop it!

Anyway, most recently I've tried a recipe for mini chicken pies made in a muffin tin.  Well, they were pretty good but I wouldn't call them pies... they were more like skimpy chicken and veggie buns sort of but with not so much bun.  In my so-called-chef experience, chicken pies have gravy in them, these ones did not.  I won't say I disliked them because I'd be lying if I did!  They went down pretty darn well with a glass of fruit punch alongside some boiled potatoes.  Nothing fancy just wanted to get them thrown together but something was missing.... I feel they should have been more of a bread bun with chicken but it lacked in the bisquick mixture to make a full bun.  And now that I have a whole big box of bisquick that I purchased just for that recipe that only ONLY required a few tablespoons.... sigh .... what have I got to lose with experimenting.

I've also tried banana bread made with whole wheat flour and apple sauce and honey rather than oil.  It was very quick and easy to make, I made them in my mini loaf pan so yielded 8 mini loaves.  I found the whole wheat flour was a bit over powering in taste so it should have had another banana or called for sweetened apple sauce instead of unsweetened.  Raisins and walnuts... it should have contained raisins and walnuts!!!  I will make this recipe again but will make a few minor adjustments.  I'm not saying it was bad, far from it, I liked this recipe alot .... it just wasn't sweet enough for my sweet tooth is all.

I also intend to make the sticky bun breakfast ring some time this week but I need to purchase a bundt cake pan first because I only have the tube cake pan (you know, the one that comes in two pieces) and I'm told not to make this sticky bun in a tube pan because the sticky cinnamon leaks and will cause major burns when you try to remove the pan from your oven and it drips on you - not to mention the mess it'll make of your oven!

I'm not sure what's next on the cooking agenda otherwise but I do need to shop for some new cooking/baking supplies....

No comments: