Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Carrot Cake In Autumn

For all the baking I've done over the past little while, believe it or not, I've never made a carrot cake!  With it being autumn, and the farmers market is pretty much giving away bags of carrots at ridiculously low prices, I figured why not make a carrot cake, not like I didn't have the perfect recipe anyway!

A couple of years back, my sister-in-law gave me her secret family recipe for carrot cake.  She always made the cake when the family gathered and naturally I fell in foodlove with it!  One time she even made a cake just for me!  Well actually I was supposed to share it with my husband but being greedy like I tend to be sometimes, it wasn't really shared, more like he got a small sliver of a sample of it and I ate the rest.

Anyway, I got out my cheese shredder or whatever the thing is called, and went to town on the carrots.  I had no idea shredding carrots required so much elbow grease!  I did learn that I desperately need a new shredder because though the one I have is perfect for shredding cheese on lasagna, it's a whole 'nother story when it comes to carrots!!  (it looks like the one in that photo over there, good for cheese, but carrots, not so much!)

After following the directions carefully - and yes I was fully awake and clear headed so no baking mishaps this time - the batter was poured into the bundt pan .... rather, the NEW bundt pan that I finally got around to buying!!!  Truth be told, I really wanted to break that pan in! 

While the cake was in the oven I cleaned up the ultimate mess I made.  I had cake batter everywhere on the counter, on the coffee pot, ON THE TOASTER!!!

Sigh...

Sure, I was nervous during baking.  I know my track record with first-time-recipes.  But when the toothpick came out clean, and the cake was done, and it came safely out of the pan and onto the plate...  I used some of the creamy cream cheese icing I won on the top of the cake.  Just put a bit on the hot cake so it drizzled down the side and made more like a glaze effect. 

Then when it was cool, I had a small piece.  Ya, that's right ... a SMALL piece.  I'm trying not to over due the snacks since I'm still losing weight.  Bottom line is, the cake didn't last long because the husband loved it!  Gave some to my Mom and to my Mother-in-law to sample as well.  I"ll pick up a new shredder this week and make another cake, but until then, no more shredding carrots with that el-cheap-o shredder!

No comments: