Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Shoe Box Gift

We're a bit behind this year but we still have one week left to fill our shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child.

As per usual, we fill 6 boxes, one for each gender in each age group.  Personally I really enjoy doing this.  The feeling of knowing that at Christmas a little kid somewhere will be opening a gift with dolls, cars, balls, and candy!  Just imagining the smiles on their little faces and the joy in their hearts.  One small box makes all the difference to a child.  By now we're usually done shopping and packing the boxes for return to our church but this year we're a little slow.  The good thing is we have until Sunday to return the boxes so we'll get shopping this week without further delay!!

I'd only found out about Operation Christmas Child back in 2001 when we started going church.  One of our members had mentioned it to me and I instantly thought it was an amazing idea.  Prior to this I'd never knew it existed!  Had wondered why I'd never heard of it before!  Don't recall noticing any advertisements on the radio or in magazines or on television for it either.

Still wonder why I never hear anyone like Oprah or Ellen mention it on their talk shows knowing they have "followers" who will jump when they say jump, just a five minute segment on their show could get this program further recognition.  Ok I'm not going to get on a rant here about that but you know where I'm coming from right... I mean Oprah's getting ready to do her favorite things and one of them should be Operation Christmas Child, in my opinion anyway... ok not going to rant... not going to rant!!

I hope our boxes fill a child with joy, if even for a short while.... because the world isn't an easy place to live, we should thank God daily for what we have because it could always be worse...




No comments: