Saturday, December 1, 2012

Cookie #1: Molasses Cookies

 I've finally begun baking the Christmas cookies for my kids.  Now when I say "my kids", I'm referring to nieces, nephews and my friends' kids.  As you well know, kids like cookies as much as Santa does, if not more!  I suspect more!!

Cookie #1:  Molasses Cookies.

Molasses Cookies were the cookie of the day.  The day being Wednesday November 29th, I'm just late posting this.


I found the recipe on the side of the container of Grandma's Molasses.  It sounded easy enough and called for shortening and not soft butter so I was able to throw them together quickly since I didn't need to bring any cold butter to room temperature.  The dough needed to be refrigerated for at least two hours because it's quite sticky but once baked the cookies were quite tasty!  And the good thing is I only sampled ONE cookie.  I know, I can't believe it either especially knowing how greedy I am when it comes to sweets but I'm watching what I eat so as to drop another 10 pounds before Christmas so wish me luck!

Here's the recipe for the Molasses Cookies I made with a slight variation from the original.

Ingredients: 


  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg (orignal recipe didn't ask for nutmeg)
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup brown sugar (orignal recipe asked for white/granulated sugar)
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup dark molasses
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar

Directions: 
  • Heat oven to 360*F
  • Mix all dry ingredients in small bowl and set aside
  • In a large bowl mix shortening with sugar until fluffy, add egg and mix well, then add molasses and mix well.
  • Combine dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well,
  • Cover or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2hrs
  • Roll cookie dough into balls about the size of a walnut then roll in white sugar to coat.
  • Place on greased or non stick cookie sheet, flatten cookie with bottom of glass
  • Bake 5-7 minutes, remove and let cool 2 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 4dz


No comments: