Friday, December 6, 2013

Friendly Gingerbread Man

5th Annual Family Christmas Ornament
Year 2004: Gingerbread Man 

This was the year I started to take the annual ornament seriously to heart.  I had pondered over what to make, going through many patterns and narrowing down the search.  Though the choice was pretty easy since I hadn't made too many ornaments at this point,  I did want to make something easy but memorable and cute too.

A gingerbread man was perfect.  

Who doesn't bake gingerbread at Christmas? So why not have one made of plastic canvas and yarn to adorn your tree right?  Am I right!?

It was a no brainer this time around.  At the time, I participated in some online craft exchange groups, so I asked the fellow crafters if they has the perfect little gingerbread pattern and here he is.  I stitched him with the usual 4ply worsted weight yarn and used google eyes so he looks right at you.  For the "icing" I used glitter fabric paint!  See, by this time I was getting creative!!  

Brown felt covered his back side and the usual fishing line was used as a hanger. I attempted to make a few changes to each by adding buttons or sequins as well.

This little guy became a household favourite with everyone when comparing to the ones they'd already received.  My Aunt "M" loved him and said she could stare at him all day he was just so cute.  Sadly,Aunt "M" is no longer with us, but I will always remember when she told me how much she loved this little guy.
This year, my best friend was added to the family ornament list.  Believe me, you have to be VERY VERY SPECIAL to get on that list!!!
When completed, he was about 3" to 3.5" tall.





No comments: