Saturday, December 14, 2013

Not Even A Mouse

13th Annual Family Ornament
Year 2012: Mouse with Cheese

I had no clue what to make for 2012.  I had narrowed it down to three things but didn't have a pattern for any of them.  Finally I decided on a mouse.  You know, from the poem 'Twas The Night Before Christmas... "not a creature was stirring, not even a MOUSE".

I had begun cutting out a pattern for a two dimensional mouse but then stumbled on a 3D mouse pattern.  He is quite small, only about 3" but he is three dimensional....and was so difficult to stitch!    .....here come the complaints..... 

  • His arms were too small I kept losing them.
  • His legs were too small and I kept losing them too.
  • His body never went together right unless I took my time forming the shape. ugh!
  • Using hot glue to stick the arms and legs on burned my fingers time and time again!
Ok, I'm done complaining now ha! ha! ha!  When I saw them all lined up, he was well worth the trouble.

I couldn't stitch him multiple colours, obviously, but I was able to be creative and use two different shades of grey, black and white to stitch them.  Mom got the white one, Dad got the black one and everyone else got shades of grey.  Their noses were micro mini pom poms in either pink, red, or black and they all had small size google eyes glued to their tiny heads that also burned my finger tips.  His piece of cheese was an unstitched piece of orange plastic canvas so it looked like "swiss cheese" ... pretty cool eh?
He was mailed inside a small padded manila envelope with the Christmas cards, and this year I had added one person to the list of recipients... an old friend from childhood, who was like a sister back in the good ole days!  I had cut extra patterns of this guy but never stitched them. 

This mouse was hard to stitch, but he was stitched with much love... so much love that it burned my finger prints off ... Ha!

Now.... what could the ornament for 2013 be?  By now everyone is in receipt of the 2013 ornament....  I'll make the big reveal tomorrow!!!!!   

 


No comments: