Monday, December 2, 2013

Rudolph The Red Nose

1st Annual Family Christmas Ornament
Year 2000: Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer

The first ornament in the Annual Family Christmas Ornaments was Rudolph!    I recall I downloaded the free pattern from freepatterns.com but I don't think they have it any longer (because I had to request another copy of it from a friend in a craft group...thanks for that by the way!!) 

The pattern originally was for three bookmarks, a reindeer, santa and a snowman.  I chose the reindeer because his antlers were cute and I only stitched his head and also cut a second piece of plastic canvas to stitch as the back of his head too.  The body of the reindeer was just a long stem because it was a bookmark so it was irrelevant as an ornament.  To finish off the ornament I used google eyes glued really close together and a glitter pom pom for his nose.  He also had fishing line (beading cord) as the hanger.  The ornament fit nicely in the same envelope that the Christmas card was mailed in because he was only about 2 or 2.5 inches big and relatively flat so just one extra stamp was used per card and was sent to my maternal aunts & uncles.

The photo here is of the pattern book as I did not take a photo of the finished item once I'd stitched it.  At the time, I doubt I even owned a digital camera! 

I've kept all the patterns aside though, just in case I decide to stitch them again!


No comments: