Friday, April 18, 2014

40 Days Of Lent

For the Holy Season of Lent, I gave up coffee and sweets (ie: junk food, cakes, cookies, icecream, jube jubes, gummy bears, chocolate bars...)


I have had many days when I found myself crying out to our Lord to help me through another day without coffee!  I'm terribly addicted to coffee and we all know how much I adore gummy bears and crispy crunch chocolate bars!  It's been the longest season of my life!  

I'm such a weak little human.  

I know I'm this close to the end of Lent and I will be fasting on Good Friday. This is the first time I've given up something I usually couldn't go without.  It was hard.  I know it's just coffee and sweets but my body is made up of coffee and sweets ... please don't judge me, it is what it is.  I found myself wondering how Jesus went 40 days fasting and being tempted at the same time.  Believe me, if someone brought a large steaming cup of Tim Hortons coffee and said "Here Susan, this is for you", I'd probably have taken it... at least to hold it under my nose and inhale the rich aroma.  I prayed for help through this and ended up with a bag of gummy bears in my locker at work. 

Oh the irony!

Every day I open that locker and there it is.  I was so tempted to eat it but I didn't. Even with nobody around, I knew God would see and I would fail. I prayed for more help instead.  

Help came in the form of a very large Cadbury Caramilk chocolate bar ($3 to help out kids at school).  

God is good.  He has faith in me.  I just need to have the same amount of faith in myself. 

While watching television, I've noticed every commercial for Oh Henry chocolate bars and Dairy Queen's blizzard in a waffle cone.  I've noticed every coffee commercial on tv.  I'm getting one of those Nespresso machines I don't care what my husband says!  With the help of our Lord, I came this far.  

I even stare at the folks on the bus who all have Tim Hortons, Starbucks, McDonalds McCafĂ© or thermal travel mugs in their hands.  Believe me, 98% of the folks on the morning commute have a cup in their hands.  Me and the bus driver account for the 2% of non cup holders.  

I can do this.  God is good.


credits: photo from instantdisplay. co.uk

No comments: