Sunday, August 24, 2014

Just Don't Give Up!

I seem to have munched on quite a few treats this week.... lets see... egg rolls, donuts, jello, pie, mike & ike candies, kitkat chocolate, icecream sandwich.

Sigh.

Oh sure I'm not complaining because I actually enjoyed these treats. But in looking at it from the perspective of my weightloss and health improvement plans.... I failed.  But I'm not down for the count.  For every time I fail at keeping a healthy habit, I get back up and try again rather than throw in the towel and give up.  And I'm happy with that.  I don't care that I failed this week so long as next week I keep it in mind and try harder.   I did exercise every day (except Friday).  I also went for a jog on Thursday morning!  So if I really was in a rut, I'd have chucked the exercise routine out the window and stayed on the couch instead of pounding the pavement. 
 

Here's the deal:  I wanted to see if I was really out of shape from not jogging the entire summer.  I love jogging in the spring and fall but not really in the hot summer but would certainly give it a try in winter but I really do need the proper attire for that.  Anyway, I ran the usual "circle" of streets in my neighbourhood and I figured I'd be out of breath and coughing up a lung two blocks later but no!  I ran half way without stopping!  I know eh!  I can't believe it either!!   I then walked for a short bit but not enough to make my heart rate slow, then jogged the rest of the way home.  Twenty minutes of jogging as per usual and I felt great, no shin splints, no cramps in the side, nothing!  I was just sweaty.  yuck.   I then continued to do the daily exercise of jumping jacks, push-ups, etc.  So even though I messed up in the food department, I didn't stop exercising.  Then again that hypnosis app is telling me I love to exercise so perhaps I need to find one that tells me I love to eat broccoli, carrots, apples and bananas instead of icecream, chocolate, donuts and the like.

I haven't weighed myself in a bit so I'm guessing I need to step on the scale to see where I stand.  But ignoring the number on the traitorous scale is alright too because I can see my love handles and hips diminishing slowly with these daily exercises and the getting off the bus two stops earlier and walking the rest of the way to work.  Little changes do make a difference.  I suspect the need for junk food is because I completely gave up sugar AND artificial sweeteners.  The previous times I ditches sugar, I used the artificial sweeteners and then found myself back on sugar when the sweeteners ran out and I forgot to buy more.  So now I use honey in my coffee, just one teaspoon for a small mug, or one tablespoon for a large jumbo mug.  It's an acquired taste but I seem to have adjusted nicely to the taste in my coffee however, I do need to stock up on fresh fruit and healthy "sweets" and totally say goodbye to the junk food.

No comments: