Saturday, May 23, 2015

Wherefore Art Thou Kale

Yesterday morning I spent almost twenty whole minutes in the vegetable section of the grocery store.  

I was looking for Kale.

I had no clue what kale was and therefore had to read the name of each and every vegetable that I was unfamiliar with in order to find it.  Sad but true.  Now had I been awake long enough to consider googling an image of it, I would have had better luck finding it faster instead of squinting to read the label on a bunch of green leafy bunches of bush.

I did find it though!!  yay!  

Its still a bouquet of bushes.  boo!


I also bought baby spinach, pineapple and coconut flavoured almond milk.  I have never tasted the coconut flavoured almond milk... then again, I've never tasted plain old almond milk either. 

The reason I made such a purchase was because I'll be joining the #teamgreenstache movement as promoted by Stasia on Instagram (click the link to be beamed over) she's really got me motivated to lose weight.  She's lost a lot and had much more to go and she's so positive about it.  I wanted a sweet tasting green recipe and I stumbled on the green tropical smoothie from Cheryl over at That's What Che Said (click the link and be beamed over).  I've had green smoothies before, and they just taste like I'm eating grass or tree leaves.  I really hope this recipe does have a tropical taste to it but either way, tomorrow afternoon I'll be making it and photographing my green stache.  

Now here's the thing, Cheryl has a visual on how to put together the smoothie using a single serving blender like a Bullet or whateverthefrance the other one is called.  I, on the other hand, do not own one of those, nor do I intend to waste hard earned money on one when I've got an old school ghetto Osterizer Pulsematic. That there bad boy can cut through ice and frozen strawberries like nothing!  I grew up with that guy sitting on the kitchen counter and when I moved out I asked Mom for it and she said yup.  Thanks Mom!!! 

Here is the recipe for the Tropical Green Smoothie (as posted on That's What Che Said)


  • 1 cup kale, chopped
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • 1 cup frozen pineapple
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup vanilla coconut milk
  • Blend ingredients until smooth and creamy. If needed, add more coconut milk to thin smoothie.

Ok, granted she said use coconut milk and I was so tired of being in that store searching for the kale, I just opted for coconut almond milk, I'll post an update on the taste eventually.  

No comments: