Saturday, June 13, 2015

Oatmeal & Chia Seeds

I picked up a pack of smaller mason jars to make oatmeal for breakfast.  You know, just nuke the jar to warm it up and go.  Oh sure, I absolutely love oatmeal.  It is by far my most favourite cereal, not to mention my inner pipes love me more when I consume oatmeal too!


I've long since tried that refrigerator oatmeal or overnight oatmeal (both the same thing just different name)... you add oatmeal and fruit with milk in a jar, stick it in the fridge over night and poof, you have breakfast the next morning.  Personally, I find the oatmeal tastes limp and soggy like wet napkin that way.  I prefer to cook my oatmeal first and then dish it out into the jars, letting it cool to room temperature before placing it in the fridge.  I still add cinnamon to it or brown sugar occasionally, maybe a small piece of banana but the banana and cocoa combination tastes gawd awful in my opinion, I'm just not fond of it.  Blueberry was nice so was apple when the apple was dices up real small and fine.  I'm not one to enjoy berries in my oatmeal and even raisins is a stretch because plain oatmeal is simply awesome as it is but I do like to experiment with other fruit flavours just in case I find something I may enjoy, or some concoction that my inner pipes will rejoice over if you know what I mean!!  Fibre is my friend.  

I've done the chia seeds in oatmeal once.  It took me quite a while to figure out that chia seeds should be taken a tiny bit at a time and build yourself up to them.  Some recipes say add a teaspoon or half a teaspoon of seeds to your oatmeal.  My first dealing with chia seeds, I used a quarter of a teaspoon in my oatmeal only to suffer from a painful bloated belly.  Thank heavens for the pink peptobismal chewable tablets that deflated the gas but not before I thought my stomach would burst!  After reading so many pages - mainly the comment sections - of health sites promoting chia seeds did I figure out that everyone reacts different to them so it's best to just start with a tiny bit and increase the usage over time.  Chia seeds have a great health benefits but also gas you up!  

No comments: