Thursday, September 17, 2015

Big Bus Tour

It rained pretty much the entire day on our first full day in London.  We woke up early and had the buffet breakfast at the hotel.  Eggs, hash browns, beans and a toasted croissant.  I also had a latté.  I never have latté but I did this time.  I admit, I had lots of coffee, cola and caffeine over the ten days we were away from home.  I had to give up caffeine and coffee (doctor's orders) and that included carbonated drinks.  

But that latté was AMAZING!!!!   I said "amazing" in my Oprah Winfrey voice!!!

We left the hotel and caught the Big Bus (not the red bus, the Big Bus) and did the Blue Tour on the bus.  Now this bus is awesome. 


It does three different tours. You get this map and it shows in three different colours (green, red or blue) where your tour will go.  It is a half open top bus but because it was raining lightly we were the only ones crazy enough to ride on top. We sat in the covered section but I was so close to the back that I got amazing photos!  The bus also offers free rain jackets and headphones to listen to the tour.



The headphones plugged into the back of the chair in front of you and you just chose your language from the selection it offered.  I think it was 12 different languages.  I brought three rain jackets home as souvenirs!!!


Our tour took over three hours!  And we were able to hop on hop off the bus whenever there was someplace we wanted to look at closer.  We stayed on the bus the whole time though, because it was rainy.  We just knew where to go the following day to see what we felt we missed in this rain.  

We drove over the Tower Bridge but I couldn't get a good photo of it.  


We drove past Buckingham Palace, Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, Trafalgar Square, The London Eye and Big Ben & Parliament.   The only place we weren't interested in seeing was Madame Tussauds.  Besides, the line up for that, rain or not, was around the block!!! 

We had lunch in a small café when we got off the bus for a bit and wanted a place to warm up and have a coffee.  We ordered a chicken sandwich with chips only this time when they said chips, I expected to get french fries, but we got potato chips instead.  I was so confused!  But I ate them anyway.  Husband laughed at me.

After lunch we caught the bus again.  I just took pictures of everything as we drove along especially when the rain finally let up.




At the end of that day we were pooped.  We had an early dinner in a restaurant near to the hotel.  Nando's I think it was called.  Nice chicken and chips and this time the chip were french fries.  After we finished eating, we sat in the restaurant for about another hour or so just talking.  I think the waiters weren't happy with us for doing that!  



No comments: