Friday, October 16, 2015

Friday Five: Favorite Fall Recipes

Been a while since I've joined in a Friday Five Link Up.  Found an awesome one over at Eat Pray Run DC hosted by Courtney (click the link, follow her blog!)



This week the topic is Five Favorite Fall Recipes.... here's my five:

1.  Apple pie! 



I don't know what it is about the autumn season that makes me crave apple pie!  On occasion I'll purchase one from the grocery store or the farmers market but nothing beats home baked pie from scratch... right down to the crust!  I confess, most often I just use frozen pie crust but it still comes out tasting great... heated up a bit with a nice cup of tea.  Heaven! 

I always use the recipe over at Pillsbury and it comes out tasting great even when I add extra apples or brown sugar.  



2. Beef Stew



My Mom always made beef stew when we were kids.  It was probably something Mom's just know how to throw together, never quite measuring how much of this or that spice to add but watching her make it pretty much gave me the gist of it.  Trial and error, I never seemed to get it quite right.  I've been using this crock pot recipe from iowagirleats.com and just topped up with my own added spices.  Comfort food at it's best! 


3. Pumpkin Spice Muffin Cupcakes



When I discovered this recipe on Pinterest I was anxious to give it a try.  I chose the Duncan Heinz Carrot Cake mix over the yellow or golden mix simply because it was carrot!  I added the can of pumpkin pie mix (couldn't find the 100% pure pumpkin but it did the job just as well) I also added a tea spoon of pumpkin pie spice.  Mix it all together, pop it into lined cup cake tin and bake.  

They taste so good it's really difficult to not eat them all by my greedy self!  




I first made lentil soup because I read that lentils are very high in fiber.  Fiber is my bestest friend forever.  I tried many recipes found on line but you know how it is when you finally get that one recipe that just makes your taste buds spark.  Ya, well, this is it!  I found it over at A Hint of Honey only I use spicy beef sausage and not Italian.  I usually make a pretty big batch of this and freeze some and carry some to work for lunch in a mason jar.  (I love mason jars!)


5. Bisquick Biscuits
  

My Mom usually makes biscuits from scratch in the fall and winter.  I've got the recipe from her and tried it.  I confess, the biscuits always seem to taste like something is missing.  I think Mom has a secret ingredient she forgot to tell me about!  But seriously, the recipe came from my Grandma's cookbook which I now have (thanks Mom!).  I do make the biscuits occasionally but still, they don't taste like when Mom makes them.  When I'm in the mood for a home baked biscuit, I usually turn to the trusty Bisquick mix by Betty Crocker and whip up a batch.   I like that this recipe is quick and easy though it tastes nothing like the fresh ones my Mom makes.... but you know the saying... beggars can't be choosers!


And there you have it!  My Friday Five: Favorite Fall Foods.  Please join in over at Eat Pray Run DC  and link up with the Friday Five.  




4 comments:

Running N Reading said...

Those biscuits have my mouth watering; I could just eat bread all day, I think - ha! Marathon training has me hungry ALL the time! This is such a fun list; thanks for sharing these and I hope you have a great weekend!

Rebecca Jo said...

Apple pie is always a winner to me.
Lentil soup ....mmmmm.... forgot about that one. Delish

Fairytales and Fitness said...

Love anything w pumpkin. That recipe sounds simple with only a few ingredients.

Haley Duke said...

Now i've got a craving. lol